ASKING FOR A FRIEND
2194 Washington Road
West Palm Beach
Local luxury real estate junkies are fascinated at the audacity of Steve Bendat’s Aquantis Group that has just put its gorgeous new 9,600-sq.-ft. Bermuda home on the market for $13.5 million. Ordinarily, that’s not big news around here, except that this pretty little abode sits at the bend in the road where So. Flagler Drive gives way to Washington Road. In West Palm Beach. You didn’t miss that detail right? It’s yours for $1,400 a square foot. Welcome to the new 33401.
The thinking is that lots on the island are priced so high that by the time you build something gorgeous, you’re well behind on the total value proposition. Build on the water in West Palm Beach with nothing between you and 33480 but the sparkling Intracoastal Waterway, and you can have the same dream home at maybe $10-15 million less. And you never have to give a thought to the bridge going up at just the wrong time, listing agent Leslie Holvey says with a knowing look.
“If this exact home were on the island, it would be at least double the price,” she adds.
Think this is an outlier – a one-shot deal to test the current appetite for ultra-luxury homes on the West Palm waterfront? Think again. Aquantis is building four similar waterfront homes in the city – and the Washington Rd. address is the cheapest.
“Let’s face it, Downtown West Palm Beach has a lot going on, and affluent buyers are seeing the very clear benefit of locating here. The hedge fund CEOs from the Northeast are literally jostling one another to find beautiful new homes in this area – the appeal of Florida’s tax laws is growing by the minute — and the island isn’t a must-have anymore for younger, hipper, connected executives. Did I mention smart?” she says, with a smile.
WASHINGTON ROAD WOW FACTORS
- Two-story living room with 20-ft.-high book- matched marble fireplace
- 6 bedrooms, each with private balcony, water view and walk-in closet
- Master bedroom with spacious balcony and fire-pit
- 9 ½ bathrooms
- Private guest house
- 45-ft.-long infinity-edge pool on the water’s edge with Jacuzzi, Roman steps that span full length
- Onyx powder room with infinity drain sink (no visible pipes)
- Onyx island and nano glass counters, 5 ovens, walk-in pantry; and refrigeration by Sub Zero
- Hurricane patio screens for windy weather Kolby hurricane-proof windows and doors Granite driveway
- Temperature-controlled wine vault that holds 400-500 bottles
- Elevator with walnut paneling
If you’re interested, move fast! Connect with Leslie Holvey, The Fite Group Luxury Homes: 561.644.1347 – Lholvey@FiteGroup.com